Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 05:16:45 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "James B. Wilkinson" <jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NO vs NONE in rc scripts

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 10:56:01PM -0400, James B. Wilkinson wrote:
> I found out this evening that you have to say sendmail_enable="NONE"
> rather than sendmail_enable="NO" in order to shut it off. A cursory
> search didn't locate any other cases where NO won't do it. I hate to
> be a complainer, but I wonder if there is a good reason for this.
>
> I'm not on this list, so if you want to beat me up for asking this,
> you'll have to send it directly to me. I subscribed for a while, but
> the volume got to me.

It is the way it is to avoid breaking people's old setups.
Sendmail was changed some time ago to require a daemon running for sending
email as well as for receiving it. (this change was done to avoid needing
to have the sendmail binary being setuid.)
To avoid breaking things for people who had sendmail_enable="NO" but still
expected to be able to send mail the meaning of "NO" was changed to the
current to allow them to do that.
"NONE" was then added to allow people to turn off sendmail completly.

If you want to know more I suggest you search the mailing list archives.
There have been several *long* threads about this subject and most
arguments both for and against the current setup has already been made, so
don't expect anything to change unless you have some new argument.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson