Date:      Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:26:46 -0400
From:      Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for a committer for cam fixes / enhancements

On 11-10-25 01:31 PM, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 00:45:05 +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:

I can think of about 60 utilities that I have written,
all open source and running on FreeBSD, that use
getopt_long(). IMO the "-o foopassword=blah" style
options don't scale well (and remind me of misplaced
dd style "operands" (e.g. 'bs=512 of=/dev/null')).

About the only OS that gave me problems with getopt_long()
was Tru64 and it is becoming a distant memory.

Doug Gilbert

Here is an example:

$ sg_format --help
usage: sg_format [--cmplst=0|1] [--count=COUNT] [--dcrt] [--early]
                  [--fmtpinfo=FPI] [--format] [--help] [--long] [--pfu=PFU]
                  [--pie=PIE] [--pinfo] [--resize] [--rto_req] [--security]
                  [--six] [--size=SIZE] [--verbose] [--version] [--wait]
                  DEVICE
   where:
     --cmplst=0|1
       -C 0|1        sets CMPLST bit in format cdb (default: 1)
     --count=COUNT|-c COUNT    number of blocks to report after format or
                               resize. With format defaults to same as current
     --dcrt|-D       disable certification (doesn't verify media)
     --early|-e      exit once format started (user can monitor progress)
     --fmtpinfo=FPI|-f FPI    FMTPINFO field value (default: 0)
     --format|-F     format unit (default: report current count and size)
     --help|-h       prints out this usage message
     --long|-l       allow for 64 bit lbas (default: assume 32 bit lbas)
     --pfu=PFU|-P PFU    Protection Field Usage value (default: 0)
     --pie=PIE|-q PIE    Protection Information Exponent (default: 0)
     --pinfo|-p      set upper bit of FMTPINFO field
                     (deprecated use '--fmtpinfo=FPI' instead)
     --resize|-r     resize (rather than format) to COUNT value
     --rto_req|-R    set lower bit of FMTPINFO field
                     (deprecated use '--fmtpinfo=FPI' instead)
     --security|-S    set security initialization (SI) bit
     --six|-6        use 6 byte MODE SENSE/SELECT to probe device
                     (def: use 10 byte MODE SENSE/SELECT)
     --size=SIZE|-s SIZE    bytes per block, defaults to DEVICE's current
                            block size. Only needed to change current block
                            size
     --verbose|-v    increase verbosity
     --version|-V    print version details and exit
     --wait|-w       format command waits until format operation completes
                     (default: set IMMED=1 and poll with Test Unit Ready)

	Example: sg_format --format /dev/sdc

This utility formats or resizes SCSI disks.
WARNING: This utility will destroy all the data on DEVICE when
	 '--format' is given. Check that you have the correct DEVICE.