Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 18:26:04 +0200 (MEST)
From:      plum.hans@gmx.de
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot problems with kernel of release 4.6.2

Hello,
I setup up a pretty old PC (Pentium-I 133) with 24 MB of EDO-RAM (2x4 MB;
2x8MB) on a motherboard produced by GigaByte (GA - 586HX). 2 HHDs (106 MB on
the 1 IDE controller (IRQ 14) as master) and a second one as slave with 324
MB). The grafic controller (IRQ 11) is a S3 Trio 64+ on a PCI Slot.
I tried to install with floppies I made by fdimage of 4.6.2 release - I have
checked them on another newer machine, it worked.
During the boot process the module kern.flp and mfsroot.flp are loaded in
RAM. After loading the booting failse: sysinstall is not started - the machine
freezes.
I read in the FAQs that I should format my floppies, use fdimage in a pure
DOS. I did it twice and checked with the newer machine: the floppies seem to
be allright.

Can anyone give me an idea where I can lookup some more tips or can give me
a hint what I can do?

It would be nice to get help because I just startet with FreeBSD in order to
get away of all the commercial stuff. Thanks a lot,
Hans

http://www.gmx.net