Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:01:45 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Tsu-Fan Cheng <tfcheng@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FTP server navigation problem

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:36:36 -0400, Tsu-Fan Cheng <tfcheng@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    I use freebsd7.2 and can't access my friend's FTP server (crystal FTP
> server) from command line. I can't run any command in the ftp server, it
> only responds "Entering Extended passive mode" and hang. But when I ftp from
> windows command prompt, it actually works. So what's the matter with my BSD
> communication? thanks!!

Refer to "man ftp". Passive FTP is mentioned as follows:

EXTENDED PASSIVE MODE AND FIREWALLS
     Some firewall configurations do not allow ftp to use extended passive
     mode.  If you find that even a simple ls appears to hang after printing a
     message such as this:

           229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||58551|)

     then you will need to disable extended passive mode with epsv4 off.  See
     the above section The .netrc File for an example of how to make this
     automatic.

Above it states:

     epsv4       Toggle the use of the extended EPSV and EPRT commands on IPv4
                 connections; first try EPSV / EPRT, and then PASV / PORT.
                 This is enabled by default.  If an extended command fails
                 then this option will be temporarily disabled for the dura-
                 tion of the current connection, or until epsv4 is executed
                 again.

You can use this setting either via .netrc or as an interactive command.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0