Date:      Sun, 26 May 2013 13:54:14 +0400
From:      Mikhail Tsatsenko <m.tsatsenko@gmail.com>
To:        Marc Fournier <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtualbox: time sync

2013/5/26 Marc Fournier <scrappy@hub.org>:
Hi

> First, thank you for the answer about switching from straight bridge to u=
sing a tap device ... that made a *huge* difference ... I'm not able to act=
ually run a build world within the environment without having the whole mac=
hine lock up ...

> So, went next step ... now that I can successfully build, I added the Gue=
st Additions ... from what I've read, its what is required in order to get =
time sync to work between host and guest ... but doesn't quite seem to do i=
t:

> # ssh ams "(uptime; date)" ; date
>  1:55AM  up 1 day, 20:30, 0 users, load averages: 0.05, 0.07, 0.08
> Sun May 26 01:55:16 ADT 2013
> Sun May 26 04:57:57 UTC 2013
>
> kldstat shows the vboxguest.ko module has been loaded ... I have ntpd dis=
abled, so I don't believe I'm *supposed* to need it, correct?
try setting sysctl kern.eventtimer.idletick=3D1
It should resolve the issue
> Are there known issues with this, or have I missed a setting somewhere?  =
 Or should I actually need ntpd to be running even with the Guest additions=
?