Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 17:24:41 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Tyler McGeorge <millioncheese@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with Telnet

Tyler McGeorge wrote:

> I think I may have had a similar problem. I was able
> to actually connect if I waited a long time. Which
> means extending the timeout period of you FTP client,
> usually. After I established a domain name for my
> computer that was valid, the telnet works much faster.
> As in, I was able to instantly connect. And after I
> setup a BIND name daemon, my FTP connections were
> established almost instantaneously as well. I, too,
> asked about that problem on newgroups and on this
> list, but didn't not recieve any explanation. I would
> be curious to know why this happens, so if you could,
> let me know if you figure out the cause(s).

The ftpd server is doing a reverse lookup on the ip address of the
connecting host. If you don't have a DNS server to serve these answers
out, it will take a long timeout before you connect. Potentially your
client could give up on the connection before it actually gets to a
login prompt.
In /etc/inetd.conf, edit the line with ftp on it to remove the -l
option. This should disable reverse lookups. The correct solution,
however, is to have a DNS server set up that will respond to the
lookups.

-Bill