Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:25:04 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: distributed natd

ike@gnjilux.srk.fer.hr said:
> I'm not sure I understood correctly - what are you aiming for? The
> performance increase due to two firewalls simultaneously processing
> traffic or the reduncancy of having one firewall take over if the
> other fails?

> If it's the latter, I believe there are simpler solutions than
> rewriting natd.

Mostly the latter, with an additional (side benefit) of the former.

We have several "long-term" connections for application services
that go through our firewall(s).  At the moment if one of the firewalls
went down we'd have a major exercise to change DNS, restart services,
and so on to switch everything across.

If we were using "virtual" addresses then the switchover would be
more or less transparent.

However, we don't have a one-to-one mapping between internal addresses
and external addresses, so there is a chance that the mapping one
firewall would choose wouldn't be the same as that chosen by the
second.

Hence my suggestion.

The side benefit is that I could then look at, for example, using
dynamic routing to get equal cost paths through each box for load
sharing when they're both up.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319