Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 10:47:13 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Ian Cartwright <ICartwright@IT.RJF.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hardware (E-mail)" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB Zip drive

In the last episode (May 10), Ian Cartwright said:
> Hello All!
>
> I have a USB 250 MB Zip drive that I would like to use with my
> FreeBSD workstation. But there is a problem when I hook it up: it is
> detected before my SCSI devices are. It therefore becomes da0 which
> is a Bad Thing since that is where my root partition is supposed to
> be. Therefore I would like to be able to either a) have it detected
> _after_ my SCSI devices or b) be able to hot plug it. Does anyone
> know how I might go about accomplishing either a or b?

You have a couple choices for a)

1. wire down your devices in your kernel config so each physical device
(bus 1, id 1, lun 0) always appears as the same logical device (da0,
etc).  see LINT for examples.

2. shuffle the SCSI IDs so your ZIP has a higher ID

3. edit /etc/fstab and change the mountpoints to reflect the fact that
your drives have moved.

for b), make sure your scsi bus is idle, plug ZIP thing in and run
"camcontrol rescan".  This is dangerous, since you have a chance of
zapping hardware.  I've done it successfully a number of times, but
don't recommend others do it :) Alternatively, you can hook the ZIP
drive up but just leave it off until the system is booted.  Then turn
it on and run "camcontrol rescan".

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com