Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:36:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/ufs/ffs ffs_softdep.c

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Valentin Nechayev wrote:

> 4.5-release contains 1.57.2.9, and I saw such problems 3 times.
> Mostly this was after my games with ultradeep directories (up to 1000 nesting
> directories), but all games used only correct syscall entries and their calls.
> There was 2 occurences of another variant: __after__ message "Syncing disks...
> N M\nDone\n", disk activity raised and on 2nd occurence stopped after
> ~10 seconds, on 1st occurence I wait more than 1 minute for it to terminate
> and at the end pressed Reset.

Yes, I noticed this problem again as well.  As you say, it only happens if
there has been significant activity right before the shutdown.  I didn't
grab a crashdump as I was more worried about what I was testing at the
time.

Matt, can you reproduce the problem over by you?  It seems that doing
anything disk intensive and then shutting down immediately will trigger
it.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack