Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:09:12 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: core group topics

I'm "stuck" in my beachhouse for the time being, with only my laptop,
so I havn't had time to test either.  Until I have, I will not endorse
either of course.

I belive both is just a case of testing, agreeing, committing.  And
I don't thing it's been dropped on the floor or anything.  Things like
this take time.

Poul-Henning

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.970730184224.270H-100000@Journey2.mat.net>, Chuck Rob
ey writes:
>I was wondering if core has been discussing the two topics lately that
>can't really move without core approval?
>
>1) Satoshi's new Makefile.  His makefile has been around plenty long
>enough for testing, and while several people have reported good results,
>I've seen no negatives reported at all.  Will it get ignored or committed?
>
>2) John Polstra's ELF work.  He's done all the work that anyone could
>possibly want, to move FreeBSD to ELF.  There are several good reasons to
>move, and none excepting inertia not to.  I know that moving FreeBSD to
>ELF isn't a high priority project, but all the work's been done, the
>benefits are real, and it's high time to consider it.
>
>I don't necessarily want immediate decisions here, but I'd like some
>assurance core is paying attention to these.  Could someone post at least
>some kind of overall summary of the current feeling on these projects?  I
>read John Polstra's comments about lack of movement, and it seems that
>what he said was well justified.

>Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
>chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
>213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
>Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic, both FreeBSD
>(301) 220-2114              | version 3.0 current -- and great FUN!

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.