Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:00:03 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printing (was: i probably drew daemon's rage on myself)

On Friday, 12 November 1999 at 20:48:54 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Kent Stewart wrote:
>> Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, then,let's get this started right!  ;-)
>>> Just what *is* the best unix mail client?  I use pine, even though i know
>>> it's for neophytes.  Mutt seems like to much trouble unless you really
>>> need threads.
>>
>> I check for a thread before I ever reply to an e-mail. I see far too
>> many replies because people are processing the list mail serially. The
>> problem is answered on Saturday but we see responses until the next
>> Wednesday. This isn't bad but it does increases the noise level in the
>> list.

Correct.  One of the recommendations in my weekly posting is to wait
to see what other people have said.

>> The problem with Ariel's e-mail, which prompted the original
>> comment, is white space. You have it but he doesn't. I don't think
>> that depends on the mail program but the operator. You need to make
>> your replies stand out from the quoted material. When you don't use
>> white space (a blank line), some one reading your reply can't tell if
>> your response is a continuation of a folded line from Outlook Express
>> or new material. I guess some mailer's make it easier than others. I
>> don't use their defaults anyway and so it doesn't matter which one I
>> use as long as I can sort by thread.
>>
> So you think mutt is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it?

Speaking for myself, definitely.  I get about 800 messages a day, and
I try to skim through them all.  The threading makes it possible.
It's also the reason why I will delete messages unread if the Subject:
line doesn't catch my eye.

> And worth the trouble as well?

With a web-based or GUI mailer I would never get through the
messages.  The alternative would be to unsubscribe from a number of
lists.

Greg