Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:54:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Jangowski <bsd@birdland.rhein-neckar.de>
To:        Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slooow expires (inn 1.5.1 and 1.7.2.insync1.1d)

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Wm Brian McCane wrote:

> 	I recently upgraded my system from 1.5.1 to 1.7.2.insync1.1d.
> The first time expire ran, I finally killed it 18 hours later.  With
> 1.5.1 I was running an expire in under an hour.  My history file is about
> 120M in size (nothing compared to some of yours I am sure).  I tried to
> re-install 1.5.1, and now its expire is very slow also.  I have not
> changed my kernel, or done a make world, but I am seeing dramatically
> slower times.

I had the same problem. I'm using 1.5.1 with the "delayrm" parameter, and
building a new history takes about 10 min for 250 MB history-size..
Suddenly, it took about 36 hours. I noticed, that the expire-proces,
usually using up to about 40 MB RAM, stayed at about 1.5 MB.

I tried several things without avail. The last thing before giving up was
to rebuild the history index files with "makehistory -r -s <size>". After
that, expire took again about 10 min...

Martin

| Martin Jangowski              E-Mail: maja@birdland.rhein-neckar.de |
| Voice: +49 621/53 95 06                       Fax: +49 621/53 95 07 |
| Snail Mail: Koenigsbacher Str. 16      D-67067 Ludwigshafen Germany |
| RNInet e.V.                                   Rhein-Neckar Internet |