Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:30:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Kyle McPeek <kyle@stdio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM Performance...

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Kyle McPeek wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I forgot to mention the nfs file server is a network appliance, raid 4
> and very fast.  Very few things I can do to tune it.  I don't think any
> improvements can be found there, except maybe nfs V3?
>
> The network is all 100MB switched.  I have tested both 10 and 100mb
> speeds and the transfer rate at 100mb is about twice that of 10mb.  10 MB
> seems to be slowed down by the network, but 100mb appears to be slowed
> down by the disk.

  Well, 100mbs should give you almost 10MB/s.  Two Barracuda's stripped
together should be able to almost that.

> The clients all have 64meg of memory.  Would softupdates help on an
> unmounted partition?
> I will try 64K blocks.

  Oh, raw partition.  Softupdates won't help.

  64k blocks will help a LOT then.  The very small blocks you were using
before would be slow and since it wasn't a multiple of 512 bytes, it would
be somewhat inefficient.

  You probably want to strip two disks together and use the raw /dev/ccd0c
device.  A 16k or 32k strip size would probably be best for your
application.

Tom