Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:31:44 -0700
From:      Tom Snell <gracchus@inficad.com>
To:        "[FreeBSD-Questions]" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FBSD 4.1: First Install: microuptime()???

Well, I took the BSD plunge after 4 years of Linux, and it isn't
pretty.  The install itself went OK (from the 4.1 CD's in the BSD
Desktop Edition), but on boot I get a rapidly, then slower, repeating
line, with incrementing values:

microuptime() went backwards (437.201814 -> 437, -694864070)

[Wherein the '437' value in this example increments with each succeeding
line, and the 'second' values show the value on the left side of the
director higher than the value to the right).

Is this indicative of a particular install problem, a particular script
or boot program error, or my hardware?  I run WinME and Linux Mandrake
7.2 on the same box with no problem, but I did install FBSD by itself on
the second IDE drive (IBM 3.2GB, on IDE2).  Other system info is:

AMD Athlon 650MHz
128MB SDRAM (Mushkin)
Microstar MS-6195 (K7Pro) Mobo
SB Live! Value Soundcard
Matrox Millenium G400 32MB DualHead video card

The boot starts out OK, but at a certain early point in the bootup
(haven't been able to pause it, so I don't know what the last 'normal'
line is) the line starts in, first repeating very fast, then slowing
down after 30 seconds or so, but never stopping.  I can Control-C but it
continues on, and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del numerous times to kick out of
the sequence and reboot the machine.

Anyone have any ideas on this?  This is the first time I've ever
installed a BSD, and I'm very much determined to make it work and check
FreeBSD out.  Since BSDi has no free support, this list is obviously my
only hope (I checked through The Complete FreeBSD, but found no mention
of it, and I'd check the man pages but I can't boot in!!!).

I posted to the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc list, and Drew Lawson advised
the following:

>According to the man page, microuptime() is time elapsed since
>boot.  So going backwards would be a problem.

>However:
>  DIAGNOSTICS
>       Buggy hardware can cause "calcru negative..." when kern.time-
>       counter.method is set to 0.

>I'm not up on how to change the kern settings, since I haven't
>needed to yet.

Would this indicate FBSD is somewhat less tolerant of hardware problems,
and what component would we be looking at here: memory, system clock,
other motherboard component???

Much appreciate any assistance the list can give.  Thanks!

Tom