Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2009 07:58:13 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ian Fitzgerald <ianf@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re-compiling PHP changes server responsiveness

--------------enigE798D157A21024E539334962

Ian Fitzgerald wrote:
> Recently upgraded (fresh install) FBSD 8, including MySql, Apache22,=20
> phpMyAdmin, KDE4 Gnome2.26 from DVD iso.
> Running ok as test server, but unusual error from added, complex CMS=20
> prompted me to re-install PHP5 and PHP5-extensions as pkg_add -r (using=
=20
> ports files from iso), then with no success, compiling them (using port=
s=20
> files from iso), with slightly different make config.
>=20
> Now server does not respond, either to 'localhost' request on its=20
> browser, or specific address request from another machine on local netw=
ork.
>=20
> I assume re-compiling PHP would not clobber hosts or resolv.conf (they =

> look ok).
>=20
> I get: "[warn] (2)No such file or directory: Failed to enable the=20
> 'httpready' Accept Filter, and no new errors in=20
> /var/log/httpd-error.log" four times
>=20
> Tried adding accf_http=3D"YES" to /boot/loader.conf, and re-booting of =

> course.

This is just a warning message and doesn't stop apache working or not.  E=
nabling
accf_http should give you a bit of a performance boost under heavy load a=
nd help
you withstand certain types of DoS attack, but it's not required.

> Tried refreshing ports (inital re-compile attempt failed with make=20
> complaining that postgres-client had been marked invalid - when will=20
> someone fixit?), and re-compiling apache22 =3D> no change.
>=20
> ps -auxc: no httpd.
>=20
> FF3 under Gnome on the machine fetches external pages, of course (using=
=20
> router DNS).
>=20
> What else should I look at?
>=20

Try restarting httpd from the command line: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 =
restart

This will run a configtest and then try and start up apache.  Then check
that apache is still running: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 status

If apache has mysteriously disappeared and there are no messages in log f=
iles,
then it means apache crashed during the startup process soon after daemon=
ising.
That's pretty diagnostic for loading a dynamic module that disagrees with=
 it.

At a guess, and given that you've reinstalled all your php modules, I thi=
nk you
may be being hit by the php module load order problem.  In that case, run=
ning
php from the command line will probably also segv on you.  This is someth=
ing that
has had quite a lot of attention on this list, but there isn't a really g=
ood solution
yet, other than manually reordering the entries in /usr/local/etc/php/ext=
ensions.ini

Also, if you're running eAccelerator, make sure you recompile it at the s=
ame time
you upgrade the main lang/php5 port: eAccelerator will cause Apache to cr=
ash if you
try and run it against a different version of PHP than it was originally =
compiled
for.

	Cheers,

	Matthew