Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:43:12 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   portcheckout

Installed portcheckout from ports.
When I go to run portcheckout ruby I get a error message

# /root >portcheckout ruby
cvs checkout: No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
cvs [checkout aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.
Cannot read INDEX file. Give up!

Portcheckout -help does not list a -d option
Portcheckout -d  just lists the help again

Added setenv CVSROOT /usr  in .cshrc  exited and relogged in.

# /root >portcheckout ruby
ccvs [checkout aborted]: /usr/CVSROOT : No such file or directory
Cannot read INDEX file. Give up!

What does this mean?