Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2014 18:51:53 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Johan Henselmans <johan@netsense.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, ticso@cicely.de, Thomas Skibo <ThomasSkibo@sbcglobal.net>
Subject:   Re: SMP support for ZEDBOARD

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 06:00:04PM +0200, Johan Henselmans wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2014, at 05:03, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 04:58:10PM -0700, Thomas Skibo wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, All.
> >>
> >> I continue to test FreeBSD on the Zedboard and SMP seems very solid. Can
> >> I get someone to commit SMP support to head (diffs attached)?
> >>
> >> I also have some bug-fixes too, mainly for the ethernet driver.  Should
> >> I just file bugs and provide the patches?
> >
> > Didn't notice that there wasn't SMP on Zedboard yet, but I'm not
> > running it for some time.
> > However I recently received a shipping notice for 2 Parallella Boards,
> > which should reach me soon.
> >

> I have received 2 parallella boards too.

You already got them - cool.
The tracking says my left Frankfurt yesterday - no further entry.
Thursday isn't a business day..., so if I don't receive them
tomorrow it will take more time.
Not sure about customs either - I do have an ATLAS number, which
could speed up the process and usually DHL does customs on their own.
On the other hand someone in Berlin said that he had to speak with
customs for clearance.

> Would it already be possible to run FreeBSD on the parallella, apart from the epiphany support?

I don' think it is that difficult.
The FPGA isn't required to run the A9.
Not sure about console ports, crystal setup and RAM.
There are surely some minor tunings required for at least u-boot.
It could even just work when build for Zedboard, but with 512MB
RAM of course - some SDRAM chips are downward compatible to the
smaller sized versions.

The epyphany and HDMI could be tricky.
Both requires loading the FPGA, which is supported under FreeBSD as
Thomas wrote before,
I never tried myself.
AFAIK it uses some kind of DMA buffer and allocates a few MB DRAM for
the epiphany - this shouldn't be too difficult either, but needs to
be done of course.
Porting the userland tools however might be tricky - didn't look
into the code, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is full of Linux'ism.
But a native GCC build from port won't compile and the epiphany
cross compiler is based on GCC.

Once I got mine first thing will be to run them a few days under Linux
to see if they are technically Ok.
Then I will take a look into the board configuration file differences.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de