Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 18:22:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.medinet.si>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mail server

Our operation is currently split between 3 cities, with each city
having its own mail server, web server, authentication server
(tacacs+), etc. I'm trying to unify all of this and simplify
administration. My first task will be to join the authentication
servers into one (with backups) so we can have central user
administration.

My current problem is what to do with the mail server. For
reasons I can't disclose here I need to have the mail server
in a location that has quite limited bandwidth to the Internet.
If I put the central mail server on a machine located there,
all the other users will feel a slowdown because they will
have to read their mail through this limited pipe.

What are other people doing in this situation? How are
you spreading your POP3 servers to different locations?
Do you only have a central POP3 server? Do you have NFS
mouted mail spools?

I have FreeBSD 2.1.0 in one location, FreeBSD 2.1.5
in another and currently Irix 5.3 (soon to be replaced
by FreeBSD 2.1.6.1) in another location (the other two
machines will be upgraded to 2.1.6.1, too).

I'm currently using sendmail 8.8.4 with procmail as
my local delivery agent and Qualcomm's POP3 server.

Oh, and a related question: does anybody know about
a POP3 server that would authenticate users through
either Radius or TACACS+? And also a local delivery
agent that would support this? I don't want to
have the users in my /etc/passwd file, I want all
of the authentication to be centralised in either
the Radius or TACACS+ server.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

--
Blaz Zupan, blaz.zupan@medinet.si, http://www.medinet.si/~blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia