Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 23:44:36 +0100
From:      Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>
To:        Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I rename root?

On 31-12-2001 15:57 (+0000), Ceri wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 03:47:33PM +0100, Rogier Steehouder wrote:
> > >
> > > I only got the advise: Don't. iThanks for the advise, but since noone
> > > knew any programs explicitly, I did it anyway.
>
> > What was it Shakespear said about a rose's name?
>
> That's as may be, but he obviously never looked at the source ;) :
>
> setantae@rhadamanth setantae$ grep -C2 root /usr/src/sbin/init/init.c
>          * single user do not freak out and die (like passwd).
>          */
>         if (setlogin("root") < 0)
>                 warning("setlogin() failed: %m");
>
> --
>         struct passwd *pp;
>         static const char banner[] =
>                 "Enter root password, or ^D to go multi-user\n";
>         char *clear, *password;
> #endif
> --
<etc>

Thank you Ceri!

I don't use other people's source code if I can help it, but this is
what I was asking for. One of the most important programs in the system
assumes the superuser is called 'root'. That is a good reason to keep
the name (or change it back as I did).

So there is a good reason to keep the name (besides tradition) after all.

Now all we need is a list with other usernames some programs require and
which should not be removed.

With kind regards, Rogier Steehouder

--
/ \                  r.j.s@gmx.net                  //  \