Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:54:55 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        garth@bloodletting.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony laptop and PCMCIA problems

Garth Thompson asks:

"I have installed 4.2 on a Sony F650 and I am now
trying to get a PCMCIA ethernet card to work.  I have
two cards: a Xircom RE-10 and a 3Com589D.  In the long
run I have to get the Xircom working but I've been
testing with both so far.  Since I can get the 3Com to
work for a network install, I am trying it first."

I don't see a 3Com 589D listed in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf ...

childers@blackbox % grep "^#" /etc/defaults/pccard.conf | egrep -i
"xircom|3com"
#card "Xircom" "CreditCard Netwave"
# Xircom CompactCard Ethernet 10 (CFE-10)
# 3Com Fast Etherlink 3C574TX
# 3Com Megahertz 3CXEM556 (only lan side) doesn't work yet
# 3Com Megahertz 3CCFEM556BI, 3CXEM556B
# 3Com Megahertz 574B
# 3Com Etherlink III 3CXE589EC
# 3Com Etherlink III 3CXE589ET
# 3Com OfficeConnect 3CXSH572BT
# 3Com Etherlink III 3C562 (as Network)
#card "3Com Corporation" "3C562"
# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589B, 3C589C
# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
# 3Com/USR/MegaHertz 3CCM156
# 3com/USR/Megahertz 3CCM556
# 3Com Etherlink III 3C562 (as Modem)
# 3Com/USR/Toshiba SLIMV90
# 3Com/NoteWorthy 56K modem (bundled with Toshiba notebooks)
# Xircom CreditCard Ethernet+Modem (Modem only !!!)
# Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + modem (modem part)
# Xircom GlobalACCESS modem
# Xircom CreditCard Modem
# Xircom Realport card + modem
# Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100
# Xircom CreditCard 10Base-T "CreditCard Ethernet Adaptor IIps"
(PS-CE2-10)
# Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + modem (Ethernet part)

However, it's not impossible that it works, and just needs to be added
manually to pccard.conf.

If you get it working and post your modifications, the odds are good
that you will get credit for it in the next release of
/etc/defaults/pccard.conf ...

Welcome to cutting (some call it 'bleeding') edge software !!  (-;

Hope this helps; I'm not trying to be discouraging here, so please don't
be discouraged ... be challenged, yes, and short on patience, yes, and
frustrated, yes ... but don't be discouraged.

-- richard

Garth Thompson wrote:

> I have installed 4.2 on a Sony F650 and I am now
> trying to get a PCMCIA ethernet card to work.  I have
> two cards: a Xircom RE-10 and a 3Com589D.  In the long
> run I have to get the Xircom working but I've been
> testing with both so far.  Since I can get the 3Com to
> work for a network install, I am trying it first.
>
> No matter what I do, I keep getting the message:
> 'No card in database for "(null)"("(null)")'
> 'No card in database for "(null)"("(null)")'
>
> The machine registers when a card is inserted or
> removed but that is it.
> ------------------------------
> In my Kernel config file:
> device  card
> device  pcic0 at isa? irq 11 port 0x3e0  iomem 0xd0000
> device  pcic1 at isa? irq 11 port 0x3e2  iomem 0xd8000
> disable
>
> device xe
> device ep
> etc....
>
> ---------------------------------
> In my rc.conf:
> pccard_enable="YES"
> pccard_flags=""
> pccard_mem="DEFAULT"
>
> ---------------------------------
> In my pccard.config
> #General IO
> io   0x240-0x360
> irq  5 7
> memory  0xd4000  96k
>
> #3Com card
> card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
>    config 01x "ep" ?
>    insert /etc/pccard_ether $device start
>    remove /etc/pccard_ether $device stop
>
> ------------------------------------
> When I do a pccardc dumpcis, nothing is found.
>
> There must be something simple that I am missing.
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
> GT

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
415.664.6291 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA