Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 08:45:02 -0400
From:      "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Ted Sikora <tsikora@powerusersbbs.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: nfs broken

Ted Sikora wrote:

> I just upgraded several 4.1-STABLE production servers with a
> install/buildworld this past weekend. All the machines upgraded from
> 4.1-RELEASE are fine. The boxes that (originally were 4.0?) NFS is
> broken with a portmap error ie; RPC etc. I did a buildworld last month
> on them and everything was fine. Any ideas? Rebuilt portmap?

At some point in the recent past (can't remember what version) I was
seeing portmap errors.  The problem was that the particular version I
started with had a bug (in sysinstall) that resulted in an /etc/rc.conf
that did not initialize the loopback interface lo0.  The
network_interfaces line should either be set to "auto" or have an explicit
list of interfaces with "lo0" at the end.  In my case the particular
FreeBSD version that I started with (I think it was 3.3) left the "lo0"
out during install.  I never noticed the problem until much later when I
went to enable NFS and portmap gave me fits.

cno

  Charles N. Owens                               Email: owensc@enc.edu
                                            http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx