Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 15:15:02 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Gary E. Rafe" <grafe@omega.ie.pitt.edu>
Subject:   Re: PAO support in 4.1?

Gary E. Rafe stated:
:
: On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Hiroo ONO wrote:
:
: !I hear that it is being done by some committers.
: !Which PAO feature do you need?
:
: We have an ActionTec Datalink v.90 PCCARD modem
: that has been working well in a Toshiba 220CDS
: for almost a year now under 3.x-RELEASE with the PAO3 patches.
:
: Yesterday, I tried to upgrade the notebook to 4.1-RELEASE,
: and found the sio(4) driver is broken for this pc-card.
: When pccardd detects it, it is reported as a 16450? device
: with a "bogus IIR_TXRDY register".
: Then, when we try to talk to the card with cu(1),
: the system hangs hard, requiring a hard reset to recover.
:
: We've since restored 3.3-RELEASE with the PAO3 patches,
: and we can talk with the card again.
:
: We'll probably upgrade the OS on this notebook to 3.5.1-RELEASE
: with the appropriate PAO3 patches soon (we want linux_base-6.1),
: unless sio(4) is broken there, too.

Gary/Mobile List-

This sounds a lot like what happened when I tride to use a
Zoom 56K modem Model 3000 (this is the follow on to the
2975 .. which works as a 16550A with appropriate reset entry
in the pccard.conf).  The Model 3000 is recognized as a
UART 16450 and then when you use ppp in term mode, it locks
the machine solid (you cannot even break into the debugger)
both on a 3.3-RELEASE--his notebook-- and my 4.1-S from earlier
this month.  Unfortunately, I no longer have the card or access
to PAO machine to see if this made any difference.  As a side
note, the Model 2975 did _not_ need the reset under PAO ... only
under main FreeBSD .. is there some magic in the PAO sio code that
code save our butts here?

The other weird thing about this modem is that the Manufacturers
ID was completely ignored (generated an error) by pccard[dc] and
the model name had to be matched in the pccard.conf entry.

#Zoom/PC Card 56K (Model 3000)
card "V90&K56Flex PCMCIA FAX MODEM" ""
	config 0x22 "sio" ?

This card was bought by my boss because it looked much like the
Model 2975 that worked up until the last big thunderstorm :(  He
was able to return the card and we mail-ordered a Model 2975.  The
only fear is that this card will eventually replace the 2975 on
the market.

The box says on it that it has an onboard DSP, but then goes on to
say that it works for Windows 9x, NT, 2000.

I fear that we may be seeing more and more questions about this
type of modem.

Thanks
Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU