Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:22:36 -0700
From:      rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
To:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ATA tags bug fix committed to -releng4/ Now SCSI emulation

Dave Hayes wrote:

snip

> My question would be: why don't we have an interface to the more
> robust SCSI emulation layer of these devices? I recognize there is
> loss of speed to be endured, but the upside is that we could use
> a lot more drives on FreeBSD.
> </relatedtangent>
> ------
> Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org
>
> Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Amen.  I have a laptop so there is no choice.  I used to have an OpenBSD
partition, and enjoyed the ability to use its built in scsi emulation.
There was no loss of speed that I could discern.  I believe all CDROM
devices are inherently SCSI, its just the I/O and pinout that changes.
Please correct me if am wrong.  Burncd has worked for me, but it rules
out most of the gui based burner programs.  Rob.