Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:40:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <Gary.Palmer@RCN.COM>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: [linux-security] Re: Port 7 scan

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Gary Palmer wrote:

>Basically, if you didn't understand the previous reply (or need more
>info) Resonate make a couple of DNS based load balancing solutions,

I understood the reply and understand why latency is central to their
solution. The answer, though, raised the question of why a port that
can identify a host platform -- for that matter, why not port 25,
which, at worst, yields the same lack of response? Logging?

>one for replacing DNS round robin in a single datacenter environment,
>one for distributing load across multiple datacenters, with traffic
>being sent to the `closest' one.  Their distributed DNS system works
>by having a system at each of the datacenters `ping' (somehow) the DNS
>server doing the lookup. The one with the lowest latency (generally,
>although load at the datacenter, and local preferences, can also weigh
>in) will be chosen, and an A record for ad.doubleclick.net will be
>returned pointing at that datacenter. Generally, that A record will be
>pointing at their local load balacing solution, which is an entire
>other story.

I agree that there may be another story, here. The answer is
sufficient to re-evaluate our security policy. Particularly in light
of the fact that others have been able to implement similar
solutions, without the invasion.

Thank you all for your answers.

-- Jay