Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:56:42 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help me pick a replacement graphics card?

--nextPart17808813.U8RshLo0fU

My aging GeForce MX 400 is dying and I want to replace it with something a =
bit=20
more modern.  My desktop is running FreeBSD 6.2 on a Asus A7V (Via chipset)=
=20
motherboard with a 1.4GHz Athlon.  This is more of a hardward question than=
=20
software, although pointers to any FreeBSD-specific driver gotchas would be=
=20
appreciated.

Basically, I want to run a few OpenGL apps (particular the "Second Life"=20
client, which works perfectly under Linux emulation), so I pretty much have=
=20
to use the "nvidia" driver and not the open "NV" driver.  The old card's=20
performance was fine for my purposes, so almost much anything at all newer=
=20
should be OK.  Therefore, I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. =20
However, I don't want to buy a card so old that NVidia will drop support fo=
r=20
it in the next driver upgrade, as they did with this current card.

My motherboard has an AGP 4x slot that the "nvidia" driver wants to run in =
2x=20
mode because it doesn't like the Via chipset.  Now, it seems like there are=
=20
precious few AGP 4x cards available these days; most look like 8x.  Are tho=
se=20
backward compatible all the way to 2x?  Google returns plenty of=20
authoritative-sounding hits on both sides.

Is there anything else I should be looking for?  Any specific models you mi=
ght=20
recommend?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser