Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 18:08:26 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>, ac199@hwcn.org, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, nick@foobar.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem reports closed by Poul-Henning Kamp [was: Re: misc/6712]

On Sun, May 24, 1998 at 02:13:03PM +0100, Niall Smart wrote:
>  1) If they aren't committed to -stable then someone is going to have
>     to trawl through a list of PR's with patches which are appropriate
>     for both stable and current, but which have only been brought into
>     current.  This involves reviewing (again) the correctness of the
>     patch, contacting the submitter (again) etc etc, all of which is a
>     waste of resources.

The above isn't the way things work.  If they don't get committed to
-stable, one of three things happen:

(1) The committer does what he's supposed to: Notes down which patches
    he's supposed to merge to -stable and merge them after an
    appropriate stay in -current.
(2) The change is merged to -stable as a part of a merge-run (mostly
    before a release, and mostly done by Jordan.  This is too bad)
(3) (Usually only if the change is too large to be merged, or is in
    the kernel) The change is left in -current only.

This does _not_ involve a re-handling of the PR - it _only_ involve
handling of the code.  A patch is most often not appropriate to commit
verbatim; style fixes etc is done before it is committed.  It would
not be efficient to handle this from the PR.

I wish I had time to do a merge-run; alas, I have other promises to
keep, other parts of FreeBSD I have to do first.  :-(

Eivind.