Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:21:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

:How about one of the "golden" releases along 3.X-STABLE? After all, those
:of us who are conservative will not be deploying 4.X in mission-critical
:applications until the 4.1 or 4.2 point release (depending on how well
:things go).
:
:I'd certainly like to see TCP_RESTRICT_RST on by default. Blocking RSTs
:is getting to be a standard feature. Our lab's Windows boxes run BlackIce
:Defender, which does this, and it makes them pretty resilient.
:
:And is there any reason NOT to turn on TCP_DROP_SYNFIN?
:
:--Brett

    I think it's a bad idea to make anything that breaks the protocol
    standard the default.  I don't like the idea of always dropping (instead
    of sending an RST) - it's much better to band-limit the rate to deal
    with D.O.S. attacks and follow the protocol spec at all other times.

    For the same reason I don't particularly like the idea of killing
    SYN+FIN gratuitously.  I couldn't care less whether nmap is able
    to identify my machine or not, but I care greatly about protocol
    breakage.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>