Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 20:04:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zero copy code review

:Peter Wemm writes:
:<...>
: > Hmm.. I see one danger item:
:
:<..>
:
: > [..]
: >               Turn on vfs.ioopt to enable zero copy receive:
: >                sysctl -w vfs.ioopt=1
: > "
:
:This was a convenient sysctl to tie the zero-copy receive code to in
:early prototyping.  It has nothing to do with the filesystem aspects
:of vfs_ioopt, which makes it confusing to the reader.  This should
:probably be ripped out or changed to depend only on the zero-copy
:sockets sysctl.
:
:Rather than loaning out pages, the zero-copy receive code does full

    Oh my.  Could you please change your use of the sysctl to one of your own?
    I did in fact mean to remove vfs.ioopt because the FS code is fundamentally
    broken... and quite likely to cause a system crash if used heavily.
    The vfs.ioopt code is still using 3.x semantics (maybe even 2.x!).

    I haven't been following the zero-copy work so if you could give me
    a head's up when you moved your own zero copy stuff to your own sysctl,
    I will then go ahead and remove the original broken vfs.ioopt and its
    associated code.

						-Matt