Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 14:07:11 -0500
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT/Routing message 5

>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've been poking around trying to learn, and I've currently got NATD
>> running in verbose mode.  Periodically, I see a message in the file that
>says:
>> 	Routing message 5 received.
>>
>> And no more.  It doesn't seem to appear after any particular port or IP
>> address - more "random" then anything.
>>
>> What does the message mean, what would trigger it, and is it anything
>> important?
>>
>You are running natd(8) in both verbose and dynamic modes.  In dynamic
>mode, natd(8) listens the routing socket for kernel messages, and in
>verbose mode logs them.  Routing message of 5th type is "Kernel suspects
>partitioning" message (see route(4) and /usr/src/sys/netinet/in_pcb.c).
>What is the value of maxusers in your kernel config?

Well, I read through (as best I could) man 4 route, and I'm not very sure
exactly what the routing message #5 still means?  Kernel suspects
partitioning, but of what or how?  I'm also not sure of what i'm looking at
in /usr/src/sys/netinet/in_pcb.c.... it will take me a few days to muddle
through the code and man pages to understand better what i'm looking at in
there.

As for maxusers, I have it set to 30.  Right now I'm in the middle of a
make buildworld, but this Routing message has also popped up when I'm NOT
doing a build.  At that time, typically 3 people are logged in (using
screen, typically), each with 3 or fewer screens open.

Thanks,
John