Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:55:43 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        David Allen <the.real.david.allen@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple Machines

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 03:04:45PM -0800, David Allen wrote:
> Multiple Machines
>=20
> This is sort of a "best practices" kind of question so all comments are
> welcome.  I'm wondering what folks are doing when setting up multiple
> (more than 1, but less than 10) machines.
>=20
> Consider, for example, some ordinary files such as the following:
>=20
>     /root/.cshrc
>     /root/.bashrc           # toor account
>     /root/.bash_profile     # toor account
>     /home/username/.bashrc
>     /home/username/.bash_profile
>     /etc/make.conf
>     /etc/src.conf
>     /etc/fstab              # nfs mount entries
>     /etc/resolv.conf
>     /etc/ntp.conf
>=20
> Some files are identical, some require different permissions, and some
> (like fstab) consist of customizations that need to be added.
>=20
> Short of enabling root ssh logins or writing makefiles, what would be the
> best approach to handing the above?

Every configuration file that I want to change, I copy first to
~/setup/<hostname>/, each of which is a git repository. (Of course you can =
use
any revision control system you like.)

For managing files, I use "list" files combined with a couple of
perl-scripts, called check.pl and install.pl. The list file details where e=
ach
file is to be copied to and what permissions it should have. The check scri=
pts
checks for differences between the files in the repository and the installed
files. The install.pl does the obvious. :-)

You can find this elaborated on one of my webpages:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/unix/configfiles.html=20

I tend to use rsync to copy these setup directories from my workstation to
other machines (which also backs them up!). Then I log in by ssh to run the
check and install scripts.

It should be possible to extend the check and install scripts to work over =
ssh
directly.

Roland
--=20