Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:22:04 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <jim@geekhouse.net>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        Chris Smith <chris@amgroupadmin.com>, Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cannot build ports - too old for bsd.port.mk?

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 at 12:32:36 -0600, Christopher Farley wrote:
> Chris Smith (chris@amgroupadmin.com) wrote:
>
> > Hi all, after the last 4.2-STABLE (Jan 17) buildworld I get the
> > following whenever I try to build a port.
> >
> > ===>  ntop-1.1 : Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk.
> > You need a fresh make world or an upgrade kit. Please go to
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirror site and follow the
> > instructions.
>
> This is a pretty common error that occurs the first time you use
> cvsup to update your ports tree. (Should a solution for this be in
> the handbook?)
>
> The problem is that cvsup will not delete files unknown to the cvsup
> server. (If you place a file in the ports tree and run cvsup, it should
> not delete your file in an effort to synchronize the trees.)

You've been answering too many "my port uses an old layout" questions.
Read the error message, it's telling him exactly what to do:

    You need a fresh make world or an upgrade kit.  Please go to
    http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirror site and follow the
    instructions.

Go there, grab the upgrade kit, and pkg_add it.

- jim

--
jim mock <jim@jmock.com>        work: jim@osd.bsdi.com | jim@FreeBSD.org
http://soupnazi.org/              BSDi Open Source Div | http://bsdi.com