Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 12:53:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        imp@village.org, jwyatt@rwsystems.net, Goran.Lowkrantz@infologigruppen.se, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lisen only NIC

> > I've seen in other discussions that while you could do this with the
> > AUI based ethernet cards, you can't do this with 10base2 or 10base-t
> > cards.  Thinnet is obvious...  But the 10-base-t/100-base-t cards need
> > the xmit lines to negotiate speed settings with the hub.  Can anybody
> > confirm this?
>
> Not just for the negotiation, but also to keep the link up. There are
> link pulses sent at regular intervals. If these are not received, the
> link is detected as being down.

Can you confirm for me that the link pulses are actually a function of
the MAU/MII and not the NIC chip.  I don't recall seeing anything in any
NIC chip data sheet that talks about these.  I don't have any current
MAU/MII data sheets.

> It's possible to "cheat" on this with some active electronics. Anzen
> makes a "receive only" cable, see
>
> 	http://www.anzen.com/afj/afj_faq.html#anchor157338

Back to back MAU's with the XMIT pair left out perhaps???

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net