Date:      Sun, 14 May 1995 11:41:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de (Thomas Graichen)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: some small ideas

> > > * the next thing is only a cosmetic one:
> > >
> > > graichen@mordillo:~cc
> > > cc: No input files
> > > graichen@mordillo:~c++
> > > c++: No input files specified.
> > >
> > > graichen@mordillo:~f77
> > > f77: No input files specified.
> > >
> > > why not:
> > >
> > > graichen@mordillo:~cc
> > > cc: No input files
> > > graichen@mordillo:~c++
> > > c++: No input files
> > > graichen@mordillo:~f77
> > > f77: No input files
> >
> > Why???  Look up the work specified, also look up what makes a sentence
> > in an english book.  ``No input files'' is a the sentence fragement,
> > error messages should be complete english sentences.
> >
> > > it should ba a thing of 1 minute to change it
> >
> > And 2 minutes to say why it should not be changed :-)
> >

> my basic idea was only to have the same message for all three - t

I now see what you where saying, I missed the consistency point the
first time I looked at the message.  This is a valid point, especially
for some one who is grepping messages out of massive make.OUT files.

Since this is all gnu software, why don't you get the folks at the
gnu project to be self consistent on this, and then next time we
upgrade these packages from the gnu releases FreeBSD will be consistent.