Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2013 11:17:20 +0100
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        mhca12 <mhca12@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vfs.root.mountfrom with geli

--Sig_/koj5fZ3XIJq_Mq8czgdN9KF

mhca12 <mhca12@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Fabian Keil wrote:
> > mhca12 <mhca12@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Forgot to list my simpler setup:
> >> ada0p1 freebsd-boot
> >> ada0p2 freebsd-ufs label boot /boot
> >> ada0p3 geli freebsd-ufs label enc /
> >>
> >> Do I have to set the boot flag for any of them?
> >
> > The geli passphrase is only requested at boot time for providers that
> > have the geli boot flag set (for details see geli(8)). If it isn't set
> > on ada0p3 it would explain the described behaviour.
>=20
> Fabian thanks a lot. Maybe I forgot -b during geli init but a
> geli configure -b /dev/ada0p3.eli fixed it. FreeBSD is so
> well structured and logical in this regard and hopefully
> in many others as I heard.
>=20
> In vfs.root.mountfrom only =E2=80=9Dufs:/dev/ada0p3.eli=E2=80=9D works and
> the /dev/gpt/enc.eli doesn't. Is it supposed to?

"doesn't" isn't a particular helpful problem description.

Probably geli tastes ada0p3 before gpt/enc and once ada0p3
has been attached gpt/enc is hidden and thus can't be attached
anymore.

gpt labels aren't intentionally designed not to work with
geli, but tasting races at boot time are a known limitation
and also affect other geom classes.

As a workaround you could use glabel labels instead.

I use them for external disks to be able to geli attach them
automatically using a known name, but for internal disks whose
names don't frequently change I usually don't bother.

Fabian