Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:45:12 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs), nate@mt.sri.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: callouts in CAM (was Re: cvs commit:)

>> Yes, but it's still not implemented.  I think that we should push this
>> onto the client instead of attempting to do some kind of low water-mark
>> early allocation.  In other words, allocate a fairly small initial pool
>> for most applications and then have systems like CAM allocate a callout
>> on an as-needed basis.
>
>You don't think it should be watermarked?  I am a fan of low watermark
>based allocation scheduling (not necessarily immediate allocation, unless
>the pool empties).  Mostly, I like this because the pools can be per
>CPU, and thus you don't take a global resource lock in the SMP case.

My point is that clients can allocate or request for allocation
deterministically as they know what their usage will be.  If there is an
interface to do this, then the client can deal with a failure gracefully.
If you rely on watermark based allocation and for some reason cannot keep
up with demand, there is little you can do other than panic.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations