Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 12:15:31 -0400
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        "D. W. Piper" <dwplists@loop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interface alias accounting?

On May 19, 2000, D. W. Piper sent me the following:
> Thank you to everyone who replied.  :)
>
> I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused though.  I thought I'd recently seen
> mention here of a relatively simple method that would allow netstat to
> show the specific packet counts for each IP address assigned to the
> interface, as opposed to showing the interface total for them all.
>
> Maybe it was wishful thinking though.  :)

I'm not sure if someone else already mentioned this, but you could
setup ipfw rules for each of the IP addresses you wanted to watch,
something along the lines of:
00100 count ip from any to 205.181.254.163 via de0
00200 count ip from 205.181.254.163 to any via de0

so that when you do an ipfw show, it will show the following:
00100        4         350 count ip from any to 205.181.254.163 via de0
00200        5         414 count ip from 205.181.254.163 to any via de0

Where the second column is the number of packets, and the third is the
number of bytes. The first rule shows incoming, and the second should
outgoing.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a18>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--