Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 00:54:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg)
Cc:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, marcs@alive.ampr.ab.ca, FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: interest in syscons cut&paste patches for 2.1.5?

> According to Mikael Karpberg:
> > According to Marc Slemko:
> > > I have updated my patches to 2.1.5 so they are up to date to Soren's
> > > latest commit, and have packaged them up and made them available for ftp
> > > at ftp://ftp.worldgate.com/pub/marcs/2_1_5.syscons-mouse.960905.tar.gz.
> > > Directions are included in the tar file.
> >
> > Hmm... I did as told in the README file and I encountered a problem.
> > Doesn't seem big, but... There is only ONE place where FONT_NONE can be found
> > after applying the patch. (Did a grep and couldn't find more then that, at
> > least. ..../*.c ..../*.h) That place is set_mode in syscons.c, and should be
> > a define somehwere, I guess. Anyway, since it's not defined, my compile, not
> > surprisingly, chokes and dies. :-(
> >
> > Ideas how to proceede?
> > Maybe...
> > #define FONT_NONE 0

Aiigh!!!  it should be #define FONT_NONE  1 !!!!

> The mouse pointer seems to work, but it's NOT good looking. I can move four
> characters around, and these cover what I put them over, and are not
> "see through" as I expected. In these four chars there are traces of a good
> looking pointer, split up and spread around. :-)
> I should mention I run with this in /etc/sysconfig (in case it's important):
> keyboard="swedish.iso"
> Font8xYY=iso-8xYY  (YY = 16,14,8)

Now this is endeed strange, unless there is something REALLY wrong
with these patches (I cannot try them out, all my machines are
running current).

> I'm affraid I'm not quite sure what computer and graphics card I'm using,
> on this machine. It's a Cyrix 486dx2 80Mhz, at least, 8MB ram. Not more then
> 2 years old. I installed 2.1.5 just a few days ago, and it's a vertually
> untouched source, except for this patch. Only thing I did was to go into
> syscons.h and added "#define FONT_NONE 0x000" and changed HISTORY_SIZE to
> 500*80.

Hmm, I'd sure would be nice to know what graphics card you where having
in there. You are not running with cached videomemory by any chance ??
That could screw you display...

> Speaking of which, here's some ideas I've been thinking about:
>
> It's rather annoying to have to go into the source to set the scrollback length
> for the consoles. It wasn't terribly easy to find the place to change,
[bla bla deleted]
> stuck on the console for one reason or the other, it's nice to have more than
> 100 rows.

RTFM !! man kbdcontrol watch for the -h option :)

> More about syscons (?):
>
> I seem to remember the keyboard working correctly when I ran something like
> 2.1-950412-SNAP, while using "keyboard=swedish.iso". It does weird things now
> though. Enter on numeric keyboard brings me to ttyv2, there's no way (that me,
> or any of my friends found) to get a telnet-escape character (^]), etc.
> (Oh, this is only in console mode, ofcourse. In X it works fine.)
> Where's the error? The swedish.iso file?
> Anyone else noticed this?

I know about the num enter, thats a bug allright (in the keymap) the other
one ... I don't know where you would expect it to be..

> Oh, and also syscons:
>
> *sigh* One thing is annoying me TERRIBLY about syscons. That the beep is not
> global amoung all ttys! If you get a talk or so on one of the ttyvXX screens
> and you are working on another, or in X, you wont notice a thing.
> VERY frustrating. A friend said that was fixed in 2.2. True? How would I go
> about making it work in 2.1.5? Maybe add that to the syscons patch for 2.1.5,
> if you make a new version, Marc? Or someone, let me in on how to do it?

It is fixed in -current yes, you get a beep of a different pitch if
its happening on another console...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..