Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:58:29 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DSL PPPoE with 2 NICs

Ted writes:

> Usually businesses with one lan are smaller,
> and it's not uncommon for the smaller businesses
> to have no IT person on staff, and contract all
> IT work out.

All the more reason to use a hardware router instead of a FreeBSD system.

> And, how many simultaneous VPN links can it run
> reliably?

Just one, as far as I can tell.  But that's all that the ADSL line will accept
(the modem can open multiple VPN connections, but the DSLAM at the other end, or
the BAS or something, won't accept more than one).

> Correct - but as I said, not everyone is lucky
> enough to be network admin at a company that
> has mature adults as employes.

I've long been convinced that admins that feel compelled to spy have some
serious maturity problems of their own.

> Except now you just have to have 2 boxes, the
> router and the syslogger, to do the work a single
> BSD box can.

A BSD box used as a router may be too busy to do much else.  A BSD box used to
log events can easily be used for more general purposes as well.  And a failure
of the latter doesn't bring down the network, whereas a failure of the former
does.

> Actually, the most common configuration I've seen
> is use of Cisco devices as WAN routers, and use of
> servers with multiple NIC's as LAN routers. Typically
> they use the same OS for the server routers as for
> their file and print servers.  Cisco routers that
> have many multiple Ethernet ports are extremely
> expensive and not common.

I think your last statement explains it all.  These companies probably don't
want to pay Cisco's 95% gross margins when they can do the same thing for 95%
less with a cheap PC.  And LANs don't have to be as secure or reliable as WAN
links.

> For example, a 7206 which is about a $50K router ...

... and probably costs about $800 to manufacture.

> Like you pointed out in your syslogger example,
> hardware routers don't have local storage.

A lack of local storage makes a system much harder to crack.