Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:54:19 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stray interrupts in 4.0

> At 02:23 PM 7/1/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Dennis wrote:
> >
> >> We're seeing lots of "stray" interrupts in 4.0 while running 3.4 on the
> >> same hardware reports nothing. The interrupt its complaining about is IRQ7
> >> even though parallel port is disabled and no other device. It happens on
> >> more than 1 MB.
> >
> >This is in the archives and the FAQ at www.freebsd.org.  This is normal.
>
> thanks for the "pointer", but searching the faq for "stray" returns zilch.
> To which "archives" are you referring?

The "stray irq7" message has been remarked on countless times.  Having
said that, our search tools are less than marvellous. 8(

> Why is it "normal" to send hundreds of messages to the console? The term
> "stray" implies abnormal.

It's "normal" insofar as countless PC motherboards generate these
spurious interrupts.  However, we're anal enough to consider spurious
interrupts "abnormal", and we kvetch about them.

Generally this message indicates that you have hardware in the system
that is not signalling interrupts correctly.