Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 15:26:31 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        jmallett@xMach.org
Cc:        fredrik@speechcraft.com, dscheidt@tumbolia.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy

From: "Joseph A. Mallett" <jmallett@xMach.org>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 17:17:09 -0400 (EDT)

> Apple couldn't have done Aqua as a plain old X window manager. Well, they

Right - that's something I left out of my previous message.  To have
suggested that Apple could have accomplished their goals by simply
bolting a new look-and-feel on top of X was just ludicrous (sorry).
They're trying to make an OS that your grandmother could use, with
a good printing model and lots of API support for mainstream apps.
X with a new window manager that most certainly is not.  They
were right to start from scratch.

- Jordan