Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:36:07 -0800
From:      Jason Helfman <jhelfman@e-e.com>
To:        Kostas Petrikas <kpetrikas@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bxpkg - a new way to deal with binary upgrades.

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 06:04:35PM +0000, Kostas Petrikas thus spake:
>Hello!
>
>In the past I had troubles with upgrading 3rd party software on
>desktop PCs as usually desktop environments have a quite big list of
>packages installed. Upgrading or even installing from ports could take
>a lot of time specially on slower laptops (can take days). While
>FreeBSD provides binary package repositories there really aren't any
>easy ways to use them for upgrades as there are no tools provided to
>handle them (pkg_add is not able to handle updates). To upgrade from
>binary packages one needs to get dependency list write it down,
>deinstall package and its dependencies, install dependencies and the
>package. It is frustrating and it corrupts required_by lists for the
>dependencies. There is also no easy way to know what versions are
>available in binary format.
>
>This dilemma inspired me to write "bxpkg" to handle binary upgrades
>and installation for desktop environments (since I use mostly GTK+
>toolkit, its written using it). It solves all the problems in fast and
>good looking fashion.
>
>On a side note, the back-end is done in form of a library written from
>scratch that handles most package routines in robust but simple API.
>
>bxpkg is available from ports "ports-mgmt/bxpkg" or project's website
>"http://bxpkg.bsdroot.lv".

Very nice. Maybe I will give this a shot. I would be great if there was a
"hand-off non-gui" tool version of this.

That way I can point all my servers at a internal package repository and
fire them off, however none have X.

Is there a non-gui, or WITHOUT_X11, in the roadmap?

-jgh