Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 18:53:53 -0800
From:      dlhodge@netcom.com (Dave Hodge)
To:        se@freebsd.org
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Please Help. Attempting to load freebsd v2.1 on DeskPro XL 575

Stefan,

I received your address from Gary at of the Freebsd Project Team in Walnut
Creek. Gary said that you may be able to help me via either a installation
method that you had developed or kernal/bootdisk that will allow me to
install Freebsd v2.1 to my Compaq DeskPro XL 575.

I have tried using the instruction that are available at the WEB site
"http://tci00.uibk.ac.at:80/xl/", but I was unsuccessful. It was like a
"Catch 22" situation. The WEB instructions were all base on LINUX Slackware
distributions and not FreeBSD. I was required to obtain a kernel and place
it on a DOS bootable disk that contain some file that were capable of
re-addressing the memory location of the PCI driver. Unfortuately you had to
have the kernel first, which meant that your system had to be working:
frustrating!

Any help will be appreciated. Thank You Very Much ..

David Hodge
dlhodge@netcom.com