Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:08:47 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        kbstew99@hotmail.com
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking down libpng.so.4 package dependency

Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com> types:
> > cd /usr/ports
> > find `pkg_info -aoq` -type f | xargs grep '[^.]png'
> >
> > If you find a file in a port that you haven't updated, you might try
> > updating that port, then rebuilding the galeon port.
>
> There was an example given for png a while back it went like
>
> portinstall -irf png
>
> This was to check all of the installed ports that use png and make them
> consistent. I had the problem with png but did a "pkg_delete -a".
> Everything was too far out of date and started over.

I don't have portupgrade installed, and my network connection is once
again down (&$#^). I would guess that portinstall just checks the
packages database. The find will get all of that - without needing
portupgrade - but will also find ports that depend on png but fail to
list it. Finding the latter was the point.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.