Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:36:22 -0800
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
To:        jas@flyingfox.COM, shovey@buffnet.net
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, richardc@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

I have no intention or desire to get into a flamefest on this,
but let me just clarify a little, and I'll say no more on the subject:

Steve <shovey@buffnet.net> writes:

> I know that to get it fixed I would have to become a low level
> freebsd tcp/ip expert, find and fix it myself at the source
> level.  I dont have the time for that.  So it might annoy you,
> but I found it very annoying to spend a week trouble shooting 3
> web servers, and another week trouble shooting an identicle
> problem with a news server, only because I had switched to
> freebsd on them - and then could only resolve it by putting them
> the other side of a cisco - because Im crasy and BSD is perfect.

I assume you're not crazy, and I know BSD is not perfect.  I
understand that not everyone has the expertise or the time to
investigate this kind of problem; you worked around it instead,
and that's fine.  But then you cannot reasonably assert that
"there is something a bit off with FreeBSD's TCP/IP"; you simply
haven't collected enough evidence to support that statement.

If you can reproduce the problem, and can give me dialup access
to the FreeBSD machine while the problem is occurring, I can probably
figure out what's going on.  Phone charges are on me, provided you're
in the continental US; otherwise, they're on you.  If you don't want
to bother, that's perfectly reasonable; but then don't criticize
what you ... ummm ... can't understand (sorry, Bob :-)).

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.