Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 16:12:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
To:        af@biomath.jussieu.fr (Alain FAUCONNET)
Cc:        msmith@revolution.3-cities.com, wes@bogon.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why such poor PPP throughput?

>From the desk of Alain FAUCONNET comes:
>
> I  would  carefully  check  input  flow control i.e. can your computer
> throttle  data  coming  from  the  modem  ? (check  modem settings for
> CTS/RTS  flow  control, check tty setting and PPP options for hardware
> flow control too).

I've got CTS/RTS flow control turned on on both the modem, and the ppp
settings (and I've got XON/XOFF specifically turned off).  I do have
error correction enabled on the modem also.

One interesting factoid I forgot to mention is that while tcpdump-ing
an ftp transfer to my machine from my ISP (again, 1 hop), I noticed
that the receive window buffer was pegged at 16KB on the socket.  So,
data wasn't even coming in fast enough for IP to squelch it.

Still, like you mention, while this may account for low receive
throughput, it doesn't explain how bad packets are getting through.
Nor does it explain why the send throughput is so much better and
error-free (you'd think line noise would be an equal opportunity
packet zapper).

Cheers,
-Wes

--
( -Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>                     Homepageless - and proud )
( PGP: email w/Subject: "Send PGP Key"                  Powered by FreeBSD )