Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:29:52 -0700
From:      "John W. Rasins" <jrasins@interramp.com>
To:        DANIEL B REID <cs932304@red.ariel.cs.yorku.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INSTALL-BY-FLOPPY

At 05:03 PM 7/29/96 -0400, you wrote:
(snip)
>using dd if=<bla> of=<bla> I created the images. (on linux system)
>for the boot and root flp
>
>using an available NT server I downloaded bin.aa bin.ab ... etc
>on NFS sharing using Windows95 I created 12 disks a:\bin\bin.aa ...
>etc ..
>
>The boot.flp works fine ... I can do everything except the following:
>(I have downloaded and read your faq.)
>
>once I select floppies as my install medium neither root.flp nor simply
>starting with the first floppy with a bin directory works.
>
>with the root.flp I got the following error:
>
>error mounting floppy fd0 (/dev/fd0) on /dist

(snip)

>Q: is there a root.flp that will alow me to install release 1.2.5 ?

The root.flp has been eliminated in 2.1.5

>Q: have I done something wrong?

Yes.  Tried to use the root.flp.  And probably (I made the same mistake) did
not include bin.inf on the first floppy for the /bin distribution.

>Q: do you need more information from me to diagnose the problem?

No.  However, if there is more to this based on the experience (100 fold at
least) of others here compared to my new venture into FreeBSD, you may get
other answers.