Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:26:54 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        "Kevin Liquori" <kliquori@ix.netcom.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X, xinit, startx

At 10:36 PM 4/12/98 -0400, Kevin Liquori wrote:
>I'm a newbie at UNIX so please forgive my lack of knowledge here:
>
>What is the difference between the commands 'X', 'xinit' and 'startx'?

Actually the difference is exactly what you've pointed.

Use starts,so that you can define the number of colors you will use by typing:

startx --24bpp

(This means working with 24 bits per pixes; something like 64K colors, I
guess)

>I get some strange results:
>X - my system begins to load X windows and hangs on the gray screen before
>any actual windows appear.
>xinit - opens one borderless windows that appears to function fine
>startx - this is what I was looking for and just found it tonight thanks to
>a post on this list. Would this be                     	considered Motif?
>
>Incidentally, I think FreeBSD is a great product! I had no trouble with the
>installation. I didn't even have the CD! The support available through
>www.freebsd.org and these lists are amazing! Great job everyone!

We also think it is great. Thabks for your words.

We are working to make it even better. Want to join us ? Be welcome.