Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:36:24 +0200
From:      mkes@ra.rockwell.com
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0 RELEASE on HP Kayak XU800 and HP NetServer LH 3000

Hi

I have HP Kayak XU 800 with Adaptec AIC 7892 SCSI controller.
Any attempt to install 4.0 Release ends up with a  crash. The installation
works fine until it starts copying distributions on the disk. It usually
copies some files of the  /bin  part of the distrubution and than the
machine hangs.

Here is what I suceeded to put down before the screen scrolled away.

ahc:A:0: no active SCB for reconnecting target - issuing BUS DEVICE RESET
SAVED_ICL == 0x0, ARG_1 == 0x1d, SEQ_FLAGS == 0x40

... some more error messages (I wasn't so fast) ... and finaly

panic page fault

syncing disc ... 709 709 709 ...

ahc0: Interrupted for status of 0???
ahc0: WARNING no command for scb 29 (cmdcpplt)
OUTPOS = 0

After that a hard reset was necessary.

----------------

On the other hand I suceeded to install 4.0 R on HP NetServer LH 3000,
which is quite new model with AIC 7880 and AMI MegaRAID.
I have 2 arrays defined - one RAID 0 (1x 9GB disk)  and one RAID 5 (3x 18
GB disk)
The only problem I experienced is that if I tried to partition these 2
logical disks as fully dedicated for FreeBSD the installation completed OK
but the machine didn't boot saying "Read error"
If I chose the partitionig as "remain cooperative with other OS" (even if
there is no other OS) the problem disappeared.
I think this observation can help to others.

So now our new main fileserver runs FreeBSD (as well as any other server in
our office) :-)

Regards

Mira