Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2014 14:07:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gigabyte BIOS/UEFI and WOL

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014, Warren Block wrote:

>> So far I've tried and failed to get a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 to wake from
>> the network.  It had the most recent BIOS (F13), which did not have a WOL
>> option.
>>
>> A UEFI BIOS is available, so I've installed that, and still failed to get
>> it to wake up.  There are a bewildering number of undocumented options,
>> none of which mentions WOL.
>>
>> Adding an Intel PCI card made no difference.  The card LEDs are on when the
>> system is off, but it still doesn't wake up.
>>
>> Once manually started, the system works fine, and ifconfig shows WOL_MAGIC.
>>
>> Any suggestions on things to try?  I'm open to going back to a normal
>> BIOS... if it will let me.  It runs fine either way.
>
> And of course I tried it one more time out of desperation and it worked. I'll
> document the settings ...if they work again.

It appears that the reason this did not work was a combination of
changes.  The card on the server pointing changed, so some of the
problem was sending wake packets out on the wrong card.  Changing
settings in UEFI and then powering off the system does not leave the
system ready to boot with WOL.  It must be shut down from FreeBSD.

For now, I've found on Gigabyte boards that very little is required to
enable WOL for UEFI.  In the BIOS Features screen, I have these
settings:

   OS Type: Other OS
   Boot Mode Selection: Legacy ... (only or first)
   Storage Boot Option Control: Legacy First
   Other PCI Device ROM Priority: Legacy OpROM

The last is only needed for an added Ethernet card rather than the
built-in one.  It does not matter if PXE boot is disabled.  When an
added Ethernet card is used, it does not matter if the built-in one is
enabled or not.

In fact, there does not seem to be a purposeful way to defeat WOL.  The
only way that looks to definitely work is to enable the ErP mode on the
Power Saving screen.  This shuts the system down into a very low-power
mode, and (I think) disables standby power to the Ethernet so WOL
packets will not be detected.  Untested, though.