Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:53:37 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        deischen@freebsd.org
Cc:        threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some more on TLS

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 01:16:15AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> > > How does Linux support TLS?
> >
> > What do you mean exactly?
>
> Sorry, I assumed that Linux somehow supports it from the
> way the NVidia guys were talking and from Ulrich's paper.
> Maybe they don't yet...  I just wondered what toolchain
> they use.

RedHat 8.0 has gcc 3.2 and binutils 2.13.90.0.2. TLS works. Our
gcc emits slightly different assembly that's not understood by
our assembler. The assembler shipped with RH 8 also doesn't
understand the assembly emitted by our compiler:

static.s: Assembler messages:
static.s:2: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored character is `%'
static.s:5: Error: unrecognized symbol type "li"
static.s:5: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored character is `,'
static.s:6: Error: expected comma after name `' in .size directive
static.s:6: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored character is `%'
static.s:7: Warning: rest of line ignored; first ignored character is `%'
static.s:17: Error: bad register name `%li@NTPOFF(%eax)'